There are three associate level certifications in Amazon Web Services (AWS). It is often confused among the exam takers that which is the suitable certification for their career profile. Amazon has designed each certification by keeping a specific job profile in focus. In this article, we are explaining the differentiation between each associate level exam (AWS Cloud Architect, AWS Developer, AWS DevOps and AWS SysOps Administrator) and who has to prepare for which certification. If you are planning to become a master in the AWS concepts, you have to get all the certifications.
Difference between the Associate Certifications
This article highlights the key differences between the following certifications
- AWS Solutions Architect – Associate
- AWS Certified Developer – Associate
- AWS Certified SysOps Administrator – Associate
Many newbies might get confused between the terms SysOps and DevOps while choosing a better career option. We recommend you to understand the difference between the two and make the right decision for a bright career.
AWS Solutions Architect Associate
The AWS Solutions Architect Associate is more catered to IT professionals to getting an overall insight into all the services that AWS Labs has to provide. Here the IT professional needs to know the basics and essentials of the below AWS services
- VPC’s and Subnets
- Elastic Beanstalk
Also Read: AWS Solutions Architect Associate Exam Tips
It’s only necessary for the IT professional to know the basics of each service for the exam. This AWS Certified Solutions Architect associate exam will cover topics such as
- Understanding of AWS Regions, Availability Zones and Edge locations
- Best practices for IAM
- Understanding of the database services provided by aws
- Getting started with S3
- Bucket policies using S3
- Building EC2 instances
- Working with Elastic Block Storage
- Using a Bastion host
- Security Groups and NACL’s
- Configuring NAT instances
- Working with AMI’s
- Creating Autoscaling and ELB groups
- Basics of Cloudfront
- Building a Route53 domain
- Understanding of the command line interface
AWS Certified Developer Associate
The AWS Certified Developer is more catered to professionals who look towards developing solutions on the AWS Platform. This certification focuses on development topics such as
- DynamoDB – Here DynamoDB is taken into more detail wherein the developer needs to know more on the key aspects of using this service. The IT professional needs to know how to create tables, indexes and work with items in DynamoDB. Secondly they need to know the important things to consider for the throughput provisioning for DynamoDB.
- For more information on DynamoDB, please visit the below url : https://aws.amazon.com/dynamodb/
- SQS – Most high available solutions on aws will use the SQS service. The Queuing service ensures that systems can be built around a messaging system. The key properties of the queue in terms of messages, message retention, and visibility timeout need to be known by the developer.
- For more information on SQS, please visit the below url : https://aws.amazon.com/sqs/
Also Read: How did I Pass AWS Certified Developer Associate (AWS CDA) Exam?
- For more information on S3, please visit the below url : https://aws.amazon.com/s3/
- Working with S3 buckets
- Using Bucket Policies
- Hosting a static web site using S3
- Versioning in S3
- Lifecycle policies in S3
- S3 – The Simple Storage service is an important file storage service provided by AWS. Here the developer needs to know the in and out of this service. There are key sub topics that one needs to go into detail such as
- SNS – Knowing the message format of messages in SNS is important. Also knowing how the different providers need to be configured for sending messages via SNS also need to be know. Since developers will use a lot of messaging when working with mobile based applications, this topic focuses on ensuring developers have a thorough knowledge on how to use the SNS feature.
- For more information on SNS, please visit the below url : https://aws.amazon.com/sns/
- Cloudformation – This is the automated provisioning system provided by aws. Here the developer is expected to know the basic on cloudformation templates. They need to know all the key components of the template. Also they need to know the various intrinsic functions that can be used in the template. One should at least practice the formation of the below components using the template
- EC2 instances
- S3 web sites
- For more information on Cloudformation, please visit the below url : https://aws.amazon.com/cloudformation/
AWS Certified SysOps Administrator Associate
The AWS SysOps Associate is more catered to professionals who look towards working with solutions built on top of AWS. The key aspects that are looked into within this AWS Online Course are given below
- For more information on Cloudwatch and Cloudtrail, please visit the below url
- Monitoring and metrics – A lot of focus is given into ensuring that the SysOps professional knows about the capability of monitoring and metrics in AWS. One should know all the aspects when it comes to monitoring RDS, EBS and EC2. The key service used here are Cloudwatch Alarms and Logs and Cloudtrail.
- Building fault tolerant systems – All systems need to be built for fault tolerance and this area focuses on aspects such as RDS MultiAZ Failover and using Elastic IP’s for failover for EC2 instances.
- For more information on RDS MultiAZ Failover and Elastic IP, please visit the below url
Try Our: Free Questions on AWS Certified SysOps Administrator Associate
- For more information on Autoscaling and ELB, please visit the below url
- Building High Availability Systems – The services that provide High Availability systems are the Autoscaling and ELB service. One should also know the integration between both the services. One is expected to try out the various features of Autoscaling such as suspending processes, understanding how to scale reactively and proactively. In ELB one is expected to know how to register EC2 instances with ELB, create and manage ELB’s.
- Troubleshooting – Here the troubleshooting focuses on EC2 and ELB issues. There is a lot of focus on issues with Linux EC2 instances, but one should also not forget to look at the various issues encountered with Windows EC2 instances. Also when working with ELB, one should know how to cope with issues when users cannot access EC2 instances or the service that is provided by the ELB.
- For more information on EC2 and ELB issues, please visit the below url
- Deployment and Provisioning via Cloudformation and Opsworks – One should to know how to configure Cloudformation and Opswork stacks in aws. Since the Sysops professional in the real world would need to provision environments for development, QA and Test teams , this is important to know for the SysOps professional.
- For more information on Cloudformation and Opsworks, please visit the below url
- Security – Building IAM policies – One should know how to build custom IAM policies. All the various components of IAM policies should be understood. One should know how to allow and deny resources to aws using these policies.
- For more information on IAM Policies, please visit the below url
- Networking – Route53 and VPC Networking – Understanding the different routing models provided by Route53 is important. Also one should know how to build networks in a VPC. Understanding of NACL’s and security groups is important.
- For more information on Route53 and VPC Networking, please visit the below url
- Buy 420+ Practice Questions for Solutions Architect Exam
- Buy 420+ Practice Questions for Developer Exam
- Buy 420+ Practice Questions for SysOps Administrator Exam
I hope this article would have helped you to understand who has to take which certifications, from one of the AWS Foundation certifications. Solutions Architect Certification is for those who are looking for overview of all the services, Developer exam is for those who want to develop on AWS platforms and finally AWS certified SysOps administrator exam is for those who wants to know more about the deployment, infrastructure and administration related ideas.
All the three exams have the overlapping of one topic in another exam. Amazon Certified Solutions Architect and developer exam has the 50% of the exam topics common. The most important difference between the exams are the way you want to learn. Otherwise all the Microsoft Exams are going to cover the same set of services.
If you have any questions about the certification exam, please call to our customer care or send us query.
- Top 20 Cybersecurity Interview Questions And Answers for freshers - March 31, 2023
- Amazon EC2 vs Amazon S3: A comparison guide - March 27, 2023
- 7 pro tips for the AZ-900 exam: Microsoft Azure Fundamentals Certifications - March 17, 2023
- How to build and train Machine Learning Model? - March 13, 2023
- Preparation Guide for AWS Developer Associate Certification DVA-C02 - February 9, 2023
- Preparation Guide on Salesforce Platform App Builder Certification - February 5, 2023
- Exam tips on Google Cloud Certified Professional Cloud Architect - January 26, 2023
- Let’s begin you career in DevSecOps | An Exclusive Interview with DevSecOps Certified Expert – Andreas Horn - January 9, 2023
3 thoughts on “Comparison of AWS Associate Certifications”
If preparing for AWS Solutions Architect Associate exam for a person who is in networking/core telecom for about ten years , can he/she take Developer Associate with bit more preparation?
Are they way different ?
You can take AWS developer associate exam with bit of preparation.
They are not way different. However do note that more emphasis will be on coding services of the AWS.
Knowing JSON will help you a lot in this preparation, which you can undersatnd very easily.
I am a certified AWS Solution Architect associate who wants to learn more about automation and devops in AWS. Which certification should i go for? Developer Associate or Sysops associate. Please advise if there is any other certification other than above two which i can target in AWS