Are you a developer or a system architect looking to kickstart or advance your career in the Microsoft Power Platform niche? Then the PL-200: Microsoft Power Platform Functional Consultant certification exam is the correct milestone for you.
If you have the PL-200 certification, then you will get the chance to work with some of the big-shot global companies like Apple, Meta, Avantiico, Ernst & Young, Capgemini, Deloitte, Planet Technologies, Visualbi, etc..
So, this blog further dives into the knick-knacks of the PL-200 exam, who should take it, why you should go for it, what are the learning outcomes to expect, exam format, materials and resources, detailed syllabus, preparation strategy, and some commonly asked questions.
Let’s dig in.
All about PL-200 Microsoft Power Platform Functional Consultant certification
The PL-200: Microsoft Power Platform Functional Consultant certification exam is an intermediate-level course that teaches you how to add value to a business by automating workflows using PowerAutomate, customizing applications using PowerApps, and sorting and filtering data using Power BI. You will also perform functions like:
- Conduct discovery
- Engage stakeholders and domain experts
- Capture and translate requirements.
- Configure Microsoft Power Platform tools and solutions
- Build app enhancements
- Create custom UX, data conversions, system integrations, and visualizations
Additionally, this certification will test your ability to perform technical tasks like:
- Configuring Microsoft Dataverse
- Creating and customizing applications using Microsoft PowerApps
- Building and managing business processes using Microsoft PowerAutomate
- Designing and implementing chatbots using Microsoft Power Virtual Agents
- Integrating existing and third-party apps and services with Microsoft PowerApps
- Managing other Power Platform solutions and tools
What skills can you expect from the PL-200 certification?
The PL-200 certification offers a plethora of skills and learning outcomes. This certification will help you develop the ability to:
- Collaborate with solution architects to implement designs and standards.
- Collaborate with UX designers to implement branding and artifacts.
- Create integrations to ensure seamless deployment of third-party applications and services on Microsoft PowerApps.
- Partner with the quality assurance team to ensure that solutions best fit the functional and non-functional needs.
- Help DevOps package and implement artifacts by identifying, generating, and delivering the same.
- Help Microsoft Power Platform administrators get hands-on with the operations and maintenance of Power Platform.
Moreover, the Microsoft Power Platform Functional Consultant certification will also help you learn how to:
- Configure and use various components of the Power Platform.
- Automate workflows and simple business processes in an organization.
- Use the Power Platform to configure, develop, implement, and integrate different solutions and applications.
- Improve customer experience by designing and implementing chatbots across crucial touchpoints and channels.
- Leverage the Dataverse to improve business productivity and outcomes by designing models and integrating data.
- Build Basic AI using AI Builder
- Use PowerApps to configure and customize applications that can solve real-world challenges.
Who should take the PL-200 exam?
The best part about the PL-200 certification exam is that it is open to innumerable professionals and domains. PL-200 exam is a great fit for you if you belong to leading roles like:
- Functional Consultant
- Data Scientist
- Data Analyst
- IT Manager
- Business Intelligence Professionals
- Business Intelligence Consultant
- Agile Developer
- DevOps Engineer
- Software Engineer
- Enterprise Architect
- Solutions Architect
Also Know: How to get the certification for MICROSOFT POWER PLATFORM?
Why should you take the PL-200 exam?
The PL-200 certification exam lets you unlock innumerable benefits. For starters, you can:
- Get recognition and validate your skills as a certified consultant specializing in the Microsoft Power Platform.
- Take a deep dive into the components of the Microsoft Power Platform.
- Master the abilities and technical skills to accomplish mission-critical actions using Microsoft Power Platform and components of Dataverse.
- Control the administration of Dataverse ecosystems and manage permissions.
- Stay ahead of the technological frontiers and stand out from your peers by leveraging Power Platform solutions to improve business outcomes.
Second, this certification will let you increase your salary range by manifolds. As the tech landscape evolves and gets more complex with each passing day, the demand for efficient and certified professionals increases. This, in turn, gives you the scope to upgrade your credentials along with your salary. Here’s a sneak peek of what the average salary of a Microsoft Power Platform Functional consultant looks like:
- USA: $126,000
- UK: GBP 76,000
- Australia: AUD 109,000
- Singapore: SGD 90,000
- India: Rs. 14,00,000
PL-200 Microsoft Power Platform Functional Consultant certification exam overview
Here’s a quick view of the PL-200: Microsoft Power Platform Functional Consultant certification exam format:
In addition to this, the certification has one year validity. No prior certification is required but you need to have a strong hold on the fundamentals of the Microsoft Power Platform.
Prerequisites of the PL-200 exam
There are no official prerequisites for attempting the PL-200 exam. However, Microsoft professionals and subject matter experts recommend gaining the following skills before diving headlong into the PL-200 exam prep:
- Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Power Platform
- Fundamentals of model-driven apps
- Customize and manage Dynamics 365
- Use Microsoft Power Platform elements to customize and extend services like Teams, Excel, Word, etc.
PL-200 Microsoft Power Platform Functional Consultant exam domain
The PL-200 certification exam covers six domains and carries specific weightage in the exam. Here’s what the breakup looks like:
|Configuring Microsoft Dataverse||20-25%|
|Using Microsoft PowerApps to create applications||15-20%|
|Managing Microsoft PowerAutomate||15-20%|
|Use Microsoft Power Virtual Agents to implement chatbots||10-15%|
|Integrating third party apps and services with Microsoft PowerApps||10-15%|
Each of these domain has several subtopics that includes:
- Configuring Microsoft Dataverse
– Managing data models
– Creating and managing logics
– Configuring Dataverse
– Configuring security settings
- Using Microsoft PowerApps to create applications
– Building model driven apps
– Developing canvas apps
– Creating Portal apps
- Managing Microsoft PowerAutomate
– Creating cloud flows
– Managing business process flows
– Developing desktop flows
- Use Microsoft Power Virtual Agents to implement chatbots
– Building chatbots
– Configuring entities
– Configuring topics
- Integrating other apps and services with Microsoft PowerApps
– Integrating Power Platform elements with Microsoft Power BI
– Deploy AI Builder
– Use and configure templates
- Managing Solutions
– Build solutions in a development infrastructure
– Move solutions between infrastructures
– Localizing solutions
Study materials to refer for the PL-200 exam
You will find countless resources and materials from Microsoft to prepare for the PL 200 exam. For starters, Microsoft’s PL 200 Learning Path offers the following paths covering all major topics:
- Managing Dataverse administration and permissions
- Creating calculations, rollups, relationships and business rules in Dataverse
- Using PowerApps to create Canvas apps and model-driven apps
- Building and automating business process flows in PowerAutomate
- Using buttons in PowerAutomate
- Use Power Virtual Agents to build bots
- Use PowerBI to frame analytic reports
- Using AI builder to implement AI and improve business performance
- Govern and secure Microsoft Power Platform environments
Then, Microsoft’s instructor-led video training PL-200T00: Microsoft Power Platform Functional Consultant will help you sharpen your Power Platform understanding. It is a four-day-long video course elaborating on the configuration of Microsoft Power Platform apps and solutions.
Third, Exam Prep Videos is a short video on tips and strategies to prepare for the PL-200 exam. You also have Microsoft Docs on PowerApps to learn about the latest developments in PowerApps. In the same milieu, the Microsoft show, #LessCodeMorePower, highlights everything about PowerApps.
Similarly, you will also find an exclusive Microsoft show named Dynamics 365 FastTrack Architecture Insights, covering implementation practices for customer engagement and finance apps.
Next, for your final preparations, you will find Microsoft’s free sample questions and exam sandbox to get the exam experience before you attempt the main one. Lastly, if you want to experience the exam study groups and instant updates and testimonies for the PL-200 exam, you can join Microsoft Learn Community.
How to prepare for the PL-200 Microsoft Power Platform Functional Consultant certification exam?
The syllabus for the PL-200 exam involves numerous items and fundamentals. It’s often confusing to sort out a starting point. So here are a few quick steps to help you strategize your preparation:
- First, read the PL-200 exam study guide carefully. Get hold of the exam objectives and domains.
- Start with Dataverse. Explore all Dataverse components, permissions, administration, etc.
- Next, gain a deeper understanding of PowerApps Studio. Delve into concepts like custom controls, navigation, functions, collections, variables, etc.
- Get familiar with model-driven apps and practice flows using PowerAutomate.
- Search for use cases for AI builders and understand their features and purpose.
- For additional information and insights, go for Microsoft Shows and docs.
- Once you conquer these technical topics, try practice papers and the exam sandbox.
- Go for SWOT analysis and identify the weak spots. Relearn the gaps and re-attempt the practice papers.
When you feel there are no more errors left, apply for the real exam and ace it like a king.
FAQ’s for PL-200 Microsoft Power Platform Functional Consultant certification exam
In case you still have some queries in some corner of your mind, here are some frequently asked questions to help you better understand the PL-200 certification exam.
What are the elements of the PL-200 Course?
You have free tests, section tests, practice tests, and two different sets of mock tests for this exam. Additionally, you can refer to our video courses, which are extremely nuanced and tailor-made for the exam.
Does Whizlabs guarantee success in the PL-200 exams? How?
The Whizlabs PL-200 exam practice tests aim to uphold Whizlabs’ established reputation for high quality. The Whizlabs PL-200 mock exams have added features to help candidates prepare and comprehensively cover exam topics in the certificate program.
We also offer an effective modular strategy for all exam objectives while assuring a more straightforward learning process. Additionally, the exhaustive and thorough explanations for practice tests help understand exam objectives.
How can I pass the PL-200 exam?
It depends on how you strategize your preparation. Start with understanding the core components of the Power Platform. Understand how Dataverse, PowerApps, AI Builder and PowerAutomate works and how to configure solutions to improve user experiences. Then attempt sample papers and practice tests and assess your knowledge.
What does the job outlook for Microsoft Power Platform Functional Consultants look like?
Some of the big names like Meta, EY, Capgemini use Microsoft Power Platforms, which means global companies like these have a demand for Power Platform consultants and professionals who can combat real-world challenges by leveraging Power Platform.
What can be the next step after PL-200?
Once you qualify and gain experience working in this domain, you can try the Microsoft Certified: Power Platform Functional Consultant Associate cert. Here, you will get the chance to level up your configuration and implementation skills.
Sample questions for PL-200 exam
Domain : Create and manage Microsoft Power Automate
Q1: You need to trigger a desktop flow built with Power Automate Desktop on your device by an instant flow.
B. Web browser extension
C. Power Automate Desktop
D. Power BI Desktop
E. Microsoft SQL Express
F. On-premises Data gateway
Correct Answers: B, C and F
Power Automate Desktop flow automates legacy, modern desktop, and web applications processes.
There are two types of Desktop flows automation: the windows desktop and the web application.
The Desktop flow runs only on Windows-based machines. The device needs to run Windows 10, Windows Server 2016, or 2019. You can create a Desktop flow using Power Automate Desktop or alternative solutions involving Windows recorder and Selenium IDE.
When you automate the Desktop flow execution using an instant flow, you need to connect your instant cloud flow with the Power Automate Desktop application running on the Windows-based device.
You can install an on-premises data gateway for this purpose. Or you can register your device as a Power Automate machine environment during Power Automate desktop installation. Both methods apply to trigger the desktop flow by a cloud flow, like instant (button), schedule, or business process flows.
Power Automate Desktop flow interacts with the application using its elements, images, and coordinates. It has two recorders to capture the users’ application interaction: Web recorder and a Desktop recorder. Power Automate Desktop application uses a Web browser extension for the Web recording. You can download this extension for Chrome, Edge, and Firefox browsers.
All other options are incorrect.
Domain : Implement Microsoft Power Virtual Agents chatbots
Q2: You need to create a Power Virtual Agents chatbot in a custom environment.
But you can not find the environment in the PVA drop-down menu.
What must you have in the environment to see it on the list?
A. At least one Power Automate flow
B. Dataverse database
C. Business process flow
D. At least one model-driven app
E. Dynamics 365 apps
Correct Answer: B
Interestingly, certification like PL-200 plays a prime role in broadening your horizons. Businesses and organizations of myriad types are increasingly adopting the Microsoft Power Platform as it helps manage operations easily. It means that the demand for Microsoft Power Platform Functional Consultants will increase significantly in the time to come.
Finding authentic and updated content for so many line items in the PL-200 exam syllabus is often not so easy. With this in mind, Whizlabs offers an exhausting training course to make your PL-200 prep a breeze and provide your learning path with a direction.
Where you will find practice tests with unique questions, video lectures with over 78+ videos, support from subject matter experts, hands-on-labs & cloud sandbox environment where all these resources are unlimited access for a year.
Did you find our article helpful for your preparation on PL-200 Microsoft Power Platform Functional Consultant certification exam, then comment us your feedback !
- How to design a strategy for securing IaaS, PaaS and SaaS? - March 21, 2023
- Best Hands-on labs to prepare for Microsoft Azure Fundamentals: AZ-900 - March 6, 2023
- Preparation Guide on PMI Agile Certified Practitioner Certification Exam - February 27, 2023
- Preparation Guide on MS-740: Troubleshooting Microsoft Teams Certification - February 16, 2023
- Preparation Guide on Microsoft Security Operations Analyst (SC-200) Exam - January 26, 2023
- Do Non-Coders Have a Career in Cloud Computing? - January 5, 2023
- Preparation Guide on AI-102: Designing and Implementing a Microsoft Azure AI Solution - December 28, 2022
- Preparation Guide on MS-900: Microsoft 365 Fundamentals - December 7, 2022