Knowing that Big Data is the big thing today, the professionals often want to know about the big data careers available in the market. In this blog, we will discuss why Big data is a promising field to explore and prosper.
With the tremendous growth, big data has even become a striking career option for the professionals today. The companies from many domains have opened various positions for big data professionals. The demand for Big data professionals is rising every day, and big data is here to stay.
New in the Big Data world? Here we’ve explained how you can start Big Data Career as a Fresher.
Reasons Why Big Data Careers have Become a Craze?
With the so many opportunities in Big Data domain, it has become a craze to make a career in Big Data. Professionals are having a boom to learn Big Data and to build as well boost their career. Let’s have a look at the reasons which make big data career so demanding.
1. Huge Demand for Big Data Professionals
Organisations today require big data and analytics professionals in a large number and this demand is only rising. Organisations want to exploit the big data power to stay ahead of the competition. The job opportunities require candidates with big data skills and expertise.
2. The Shortage of Big Data Talent
There is a steady increase in job openings, but the supply of talent is less. This deficit of big data talent is globally leaving big data analytics as a ‘Hot’ job. Along with the engineers, there is a huge requirement for managers and business analysts who can understand the analysis output and make decisions.
3. Wide Choice of Job Types and Technologies
Big data is an umbrella term with many job titles and roles under it. Concerning nature of job and domain, the choices are broad. There are three types of Analytics domain including:
- Predictive Analytics
- Prescriptive Analytics
- Descriptive Analytics
The various job roles are offered to big data professionals, and the aspirant can choose from the fields and the roles as per his interest. Also, there are many organizations like Microsoft, IBM, Opera, Pentaho, Saffron, Platfora, Teradata, Oracle, etc. that have business needs and opportunities for big data professionals. So, Big data is a vast field growing rapidly.
4. Lucrative Salary Offers
Since the demand for big data experts is huge, the salary offered is often very high. The opportunities available are across many domains, and the big multinational companies from all domains offer competitive salary packages to the employees. Thus, the Big Data field proves out to be an attractive one for the professionals looking for a sharp growth and learning curve in their career.
What are the Different Big Data Careers in the Market?
Though there is a general big data professional term used commonly, there are many big data careers that one can explore as per the capability and interest. These big data careers are as follows:
1. Big Data Engineer
Big data engineers are the professionals who are responsible for building the designs made by solution architects. It is one of the well-known and demanding big data careers. It is the most common role in the big data world. A big data engineer is the one who develops, tests, maintains, and manages big data solutions in the organizations.
2. Data Scientist
One of the most sought-after among available big data careers, the data scientists are the people who use the analytical and technical skills for the extraction of insights from the big data. They turn the structured and unstructured data into meaningful insights.
3. Big Data Analyst
This is the most sought-after role in the big data field, and the talent is usually scarce for this. The big data analyst requires the fundamental knowledge of the big data technologies like Hadoop, Hive, Pig, etc.
For this job role, professionals must have an analytics skill along with set basic statistics and algorithm knowledge to find relevant information from the datasets. Big data analyst also carries domain knowledge as it is really important for the analysis of data.
Hadoop and Spark are the top-most Big Data Technologies. Let’s choose one from these Big Data Careers – Spark Developer or Hadoop Admin.
4. Data Visualization Developer
This role involves the responsibilities of designing, developing, and supporting the data visualization activities. The data visualization developers are responsible to design, conceptualize, and develop graphic or data visualizations. They have the strong technical skills for using relevant technologies to implement the visualization.
5. Machine Learning Engineer
Machine learning is an important part of big data field today. They are responsible for developing data analysis software. The analytic software helps to run the components autonomously without human supervision.
6. Business Intelligence Engineer
BI Engineers carry the expertise of the reporting tools used to query and manage the data warehouses. The BI engineers have hands-on experience with big data to solve complex issues.
7. Business Analytics Specialist
This role is for the special expert in the field of business analytics who helps in the development of scripts, to test scripts, and perform testing. They even take up the business research activities to understand and analyze the issues to develop cost-effective solutions.
8. Machine Learning Scientist
The machine learning scientist is the role for the people who work in research and development department. They work on making algorithms to use in adaptive systems. They work on product suggestions and forecast the demand.
Big Data Job Market in India and Abroad
The organizations around the world have started to pay special attention to the field of Big data lately. The job market for big data professionals is already huge and growing fast. In case of analytics, India currently has the highest concentration worldwide. Forbes describes Big data as a movement.
As per IDC, the big data market is expected to grow to be worth of $46 billion by the end of this year. As per predictions, the big data market will grow at a rate of around 23% in the period 2014 to 2019. Among them, the growth of Hadoop is predicted to be approximately 58% for the period between 2013 and 2020.
The big data job scenario can be better understood by the following points:
- The demand for the roles of Data developers, Data Scientists, and Data Engineers, etc. will reach around 700000 openings by the year 2020.
- The Data Science and Analytics Jobs stay open in the market for an average of 45 days, which is longer than the average of the job market. Economic Times report has suggested that big data talent demand in India has increased by 50% in the last year. The big data professionals receive 40% more compensation than the rest of the IT skills.
- The analytical skills that are most lucrative include Apache Hadoop, Apache Hive, Apache Pig, and Machine Learning. The skills that are scarce and challenging to recruit include Data Sciences, Machine Learning, and Big Data. There is a higher cost of hiring involved, and the recruiters have felt a need for better training programs.
- As per Forbes, there are top five industries that hire people with expertise in big data. These industries are Professional Services, Manufacturing industry, IT industry, Retail industry, and Finance industry. The sales representatives for big data solutions are also in huge demand. The professionals in the field of big data that are in high demand include Management Analysts and Information Security Analysts.
- There is a significant gap in the demand and supply of the professionals with big data skills. There is a shortage of big data skills as they are hard to find and get. The organizations are even offering a very high salary for the big data talent. The average salary is as high as $11,40,000 yearly. This is 98% more than the average salary worldwide.
- IBM has predicted that the demand for the data scientists will increase by 28% by the year 2020. Also, around 39% of the data scientists and the advanced analyst roles need a Ph.D. or a master’s degree. The heavily demanded jobs require advanced education increasing the demand of the professionals even higher.
Want to know about the current status of Big Data job market? Here are the Job Trends for Big Data Professionals in India.
Few Points to Remember before Moving towards Big Data Careers
Big data and analytics is a growing field, and more openings are coming up in the field due to the high growth. How to build a career in Big data is often a question of many, and there are specific steps you might want to take to pursue the goal.
1. Learn the Basics Right
It is essential to understand the basics of the technologies that you want to work on. If the tools are learned well, you stand a higher chance to get the job in the field of your interest. You can consult an experienced person to know the tricks of the trade. This will allow you to know the details of the business that you are part of.
Carrying the domain knowledge can help the analysts and consultants greatly. The knowledge of deployment and maintenance of the tools is also helpful. The big data analytics is used to solve real-life issues. The outputs received from the tools can be complex. If you know the trade well, you can pick the right tool for the proper purpose.
2. Learn and Understand the Big Data Tools
Certain tools are necessary for the big data field, and these tools help the professionals much in their career. These tools include SPSS, SAS, R, SQL, Apache Hadoop, Pig, Hive, Storm, etc. Try to pick the familiar tools first and become expert on these.
Keep yourself accustomed to the latest updates. Start with the basic sessions in the tools and start learning it. If one learns a tool correctly and masters it, it’s easier to get any work done and get a relevant job. There are many open source software available online that you can easily access.
3. Keep Learning and Reading
It is crucial for big data careers that you keep yourself updated with the latest changes. There are new updates every day and keeping yourself abreast of the new technologies can help you grow in the career. There are different functions of the business and different domains that the company works in. The knowledge of all the essential parts of business and domains can help you take right decisions.
4. Get your Hands Dirty
Once you are well aware of the technologies, start looking for opportunities in your sphere. Starting to work with the big data technology might seem like a difficult thing to start. But apply your basic knowledge to learn the data flow first.
Identify the data sources and check the repositories that store data. It is advisable to learn about the business processes or functions that are generating data. The organizations can apply some specific tools to carry out the analysis. Start using them to produce fundamental insights from data and use more straightforward metrics.
In case of complex metrics, use a BI system that helps us identify many complex parameters. Once data is analyzed, it is vital to creating reports. Using the data to put in a meaningful report can help the businesses to take the right decisions.
5. Join a Community
Big data is a complex field, and you may face different problem scenarios at times. Apparently, it is not always possible to solve them alone. Hence, better to join a Big data community to participate in discussions to get better insights on various topics.
6. Follow Big Data Blogs
There are numerous blogs on Big data which are excellent knowledge hubs and focus from different angles on a single subject. Hence, it is always advisable to follow blogs on Big data to get up to date knowledge on various topics.
Looking for some good Big Data Blogs? Here is the list of best Big Data Blogs in 2019.
7. Join a Big Data Course
Joining a Big data course will make your half work done as it prescribes you towards a definite roadmap as per your choice. Most of the premium course providers either follow industry-recognized certification pattern or provide their tailor-made course. These courses often come with Big data dump as a ready solution for hands-on practice.
Also Read: The Best Big Data Certifications in 2019
As big data is a high priority among the employers today, it is the right time to attain the required skills and expertise for the professionals. With Big Data skills, professionals can go for one of the available big data careers well. There are specialized training and courses available that the professionals can take up.
At Whizlabs we always strive to excel and help professionals to shine through our online self-study training programs. Big data is not an exception. Hence, we have designed the roadmap as per two big industry recognized Big data certification providers – HortonWorks and Cloudera.
In our HortonWorks series, you can avail –
If you want to walk on the path of Cloudera here is our offering
The certification guides are 100% coverage of actual certification with ample scope of hands-on and support from our training experts.
Hence, with the kind of growth the industry is witnessing, it is the perfect time to add big data skills to your resume and give your big data career a boost with the hottest jobs today with us!
Have any questions related to Big Data? Just write here or put a comment below, we’ll be happy to answer you!
- 25 Free Practice Questions – GCP Certified Professional Cloud Architect - December 3, 2021
- 25 Free Questions – Google Cloud Certified Digital Leader Certification Exam - November 24, 2021
- 4 Types of Google Cloud Support Options for You - November 23, 2021
- APACHE STORM (2.2.0) – A Complete Guide - November 22, 2021
- Data Mining Vs Big Data – Find out the Best Differences - November 18, 2021
- Understanding MapReduce in Hadoop – Know how to get started - November 15, 2021
- What is Data Visualization? - October 22, 2021
- Microsoft Power Automate – Your Complete Guide - October 20, 2021