Critical Chain Project Management (CCPM) is the method of planning and managing the projects, putting more emphasis on physical as well as human resources that are required for execution of project tasks. CCPM is the application of Theory of Constraints placed on the project. Often project task duration is set, in which the specific projects must be completed in a certain period of time. The overall goal of Critical Chain Project Management Method is to increase the completion rate of organizational project. This method helps the organizational leaders in identifying the system constraints and the available resources to find the solution.
The Critical Chain Project Management is the process in which the tasks that are located on the critical chain are given priority over all the other activities in order to exploit the existing constraints. The projects are then planned and managed well. The Critical Chain method is the schedule network analysis technique which modifies the project schedule by accounting for only restricted resources. This method also ensures that all the available resources are ready to use when the critical tasks need to be started and is a very important process since it allows the projects to be handled in a timely manner. The management of projects includes various processes that have to be performed in order to run the organization smoothly. Regardless of the project type, all the projects undergo the resource leveling. The longest sequence of the resource constraints is always identified as the Critical Chain for performing resource leveling across all the projects.
Improper planning takes long time for completing a project. Unless the appropriate project management method is followed, the projects consistently finish late and over the budget. The estimation should be done correctly before the execution of proposed project plan. Following behaviors are the causes of improper management and communication:
- Misallocation of time: Adding too much time to the original plan. Planning ‘x’ amount of time to complete a particular task, means the project team is expected to complete the task in ‘x’ amount of time. Sometimes, it takes less amount of time to finish a task. But, the project team may delay the completion of project according to the plan of action.
- Bad multi-tasking: Multi-tasking refers to an individual who work on more than one task at the same time. Multi-tasking is of two kinds – good and bad. Good multi-tasking is to move two or more tasks together smoothly whereas, bad multi-tasking is dropping off the work on one task before it is finished in order to begin another work. Often people are not able to complete a task, because they are being pulled off from one work. So, the ‘task time’ grows each time a change is made.
By eliminating these behaviors from the projects, the time to finish the project is reduced. Critical chain seeks to reduce or eliminate these behaviors and therefore not planned for in the projects. This is the reason the projects managed using the critical chain method consistently finishes in less time than other projects which do not use this approach.
- Understanding The Critical Chain Project Management Method - June 23, 2014
- The 43 Folder System And The Project Management - June 19, 2014
- The Key Steps In The Project Portfolio Management - May 20, 2014
- Challenges For Project Managers In Global Project Management - May 19, 2014
- The Myths About The Tools In The Project Management - May 16, 2014