The more businesses thrive in cloud technologies, the more they deal with the exchange and storing of data, increasing the risk of thefts and breaches. This rise in cybersecurity needs is not only surging the demand for cloud security experts but is also widely calling for those capable of tackling them.
And the best way to grasp the nitty-gritty of cloud security and unlock fresh career prospects is to get cloud security certifications. But if you are a beginner in this domain, you should pay attention to the learning path you choose. The cert courses should be updated and cover all the latest cutting-edge technologies. To make this process seamless for you, this blog talks about the top 5 cloud security certifications.
But before that, let’s quickly dive into the outlook of cloud security certifications.
Why are Cloud Security Certifications important?
Do you know that according to Foundry, 69% of companies have expedited their move to the cloud in the past 12 months?
While adopting the cloud offers organizations numerous advantages like cost reduction, scalability, and improved accessibility, it also introduces fresh security risks related to cloud computing. With more companies embracing cloud computing, the demand for professionals who can effectively safeguard cloud data against cyber threats is rising.
Interestingly, the IBM Transformation Index reveals in their State of Cloud report that 71% of enterprises are creating new roles to meet the demand for cloud expertise. The proper cloud security certification equips individuals with the knowledge, technical skills, and expertise to identify, prevent, and respond to evolving cloud cyber threats while propelling their careers in this rapidly expanding field.
Also Read : Top Cybersecurity Career Path
Cloud security job outlook
The field of cybersecurity is experiencing rapid expansion, with a projected growth rate of 11% in 2024 and a substantial 20% growth anticipated by 2025. The median salary for cybersecurity positions currently stands at $81,000. Furthermore, the demand for cloud security expertise is expected to surge by an impressive 115% between 2020 and 2025, with cloud security engineers projected to see an astounding job growth rate of 136% over the next five years. This growth rate is one of the most rapid among all areas of cybersecurity engineering.
To kickstart a career in cloud security, some valuable skills to cultivate include:
- Proficiency in programming languages, such as Python and Java.
- Familiarity with various cloud platforms, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure.
- Competence in database management.
- A strong understanding of information security best practices.
Top 5 Cloud Security Certifications
If you are looking to upskill in cloud security and make the most of the job growth momentum, here are the top cloud security certifications to jump-start with. Note the prerequisites and choose the one that best suits your knowledge and skill needs.
Google Professional Cloud Security Engineer
The Google Professional Cloud Security Engineer certification will teach you how to create and maintain secure workloads and infrastructure on Google Cloud. You will learn how to utilize security best practices and industry-specific security standards to craft, build, and oversee secure solutions. The cert also focuses on skills in identity and access management, establishing organizational structures and policies, leveraging Google Cloud tools for data protection, setting up network security safeguards, monitoring environments for threat detection and incident response, implementing security policies through code, integrating security into the software development lifecycle, and enforcing regulatory controls.
- Set up access in a cloud solution environment
- Supervise operations in a cloud solution environment
- Adjust network security settings
- Guarantee compliance
- Secure data protection
To be eligible for this certification, you need 3+ years of industry experience, including a year’s experience in managing and designing solutions using Google Cloud tools.
Microsoft Certified Azure Security Engineer Associate
The Microsoft Certified Azure Security Engineer Associate or AZ-500 exam certification imparts knowledge on implementing, overseeing, and monitoring security measures for resources within Azure, multi-cloud, and hybrid environments as part of a comprehensive infrastructure setup. Your core responsibilities as an Azure security engineer encompass:
- Managing the security posture.
- Identifying and addressing vulnerabilities.
- Conducting threat modeling.
- Implementing threat protection.
Additionally, you may also be involved in responding to security incidents. As an Azure security engineer, your collaborative efforts with architects, administrators, and developers are essential for devising and executing solutions that align with security and compliance requirements.
- Administer identity and access
- Enhance network security
- Safeguard computing, storage, and databases
- Oversee security operations
To be eligible for this exam, you must have:
- Hands-on experience in managing Microsoft Azure and hybrid environments.
- Thorough expertise in Azure’s computing, network, and storage, as well as Azure Active Directory (Azure AD), a component of Microsoft Entra.
AWS Certified Security Specialty
The AWS Certified Security – Specialty or SC-02 exam certification confirms your proficiency in devising and deploying security solutions within the AWS Cloud. This certification also affirms your comprehension of specialized data classifications, AWS data protection techniques, data encryption methods, and AWS tools for their implementation, along with secure internet protocols and AWS mechanisms.
Comprehension of specialized data classifications and AWS data protection mechanisms
- Understanding of data encryption methods and how to implement them using AWS mechanisms
- Familiarity with secure internet protocols and the AWS tools available to implement them
- Proficiency in AWS security services and features necessary for ensuring a secure production environment
- Demonstrated competence with at least two years of hands-on experience in deploying AWS security services and features in production
- Capability to make informed decisions that balance cost, security, and deployment complexity to meet specific application requirements
- Knowledge of security operations and potential risks
To be eligible for the certification, you must have work experience of 3-5 years in designing and deploying security solutions. In addition, you also need to show at least 2 years of hands-on experience with securing workloads in AWS.
The latest CompTIA Security+ (SY0-701) certification encompasses the cutting-edge aspects of cybersecurity, addressing highly sought-after competencies about contemporary threats, automation, zero trust, IoT, risk management, and beyond. After achieving this certification, you will possess the essential skills required for success in the workplace, and potential employers will take note of your expertise.
- Evaluate the security status of a corporate environment and suggest and implement suitable security measures.
- Supervise and fortify hybrid settings encompassing cloud, mobile, Internet of Things (IoT), and operational technology.
- Function while being mindful of pertinent regulations and guidelines, including governance, risk, and compliance principles.
- Recognize, scrutinize, and react to security occurrences and incidents.
To be eligible for this exam, you must possess:
- CompTIA Network+ certification along with a minimum of two years of hands-on experience in IT administration, emphasizing security aspects.
- Or, CompTIA Network+ certification and two years of experience in a security/systems administrator role.
Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP)
The Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP) certification validates the essential expertise of cloud security professionals in designing, implementing, architecting, operating, enforcing controls, and ensuring compliance with regulatory standards in cloud security. This training program is tailored to equip you for the CCSP examination while also furnishing you with the abilities crucial for a successful career as a security professional.
- Understanding cloud concepts, architectures, and service models.
- Governance, risk management, and compliance in the cloud
- Designing cloud security principles and solutions.
- Securing cloud infrastructure, networks, and containers.
- Ensuring the security of cloud applications.
- Implementing data security and encryption in the cloud.
- Managing identity and access in cloud environments.
- Security operations, incident response, and compliance.
- Legal and compliance aspects of cloud security.
- Designing secure cloud architecture and integration of security solutions.
To be eligible for this certification, you must have at least five years of cumulative paid work experience in IT.
Some more Cloud Security Certifications to consider
CompTIA Cloud+ certification confirms that you possess the essential skills and expertise necessary for effectively overseeing, designing, and enhancing cloud infrastructure services. This certification places a strong emphasis on the management of cloud systems and technologies, typically requiring a minimum of 2-3 years of prior experience in system administration. Key proficiencies sought for this certification encompass troubleshooting, security, configuration, deployment, as well as the overall management and maintenance of cloud environments.
Certificate of Cloud Security Knowledge V.4
The CSA’s CCSK certification is designed for individuals well-versed in cloud technology and holds a strong reputation as a benchmark for practical expertise in cloud security. This certification is particularly valuable for professionals working in information security, managerial, consultancy, and security architecture roles, as it validates their capacity to effectively employ cloud-specific controls. All you need is basic knowledge of cybersecurity to appear for the exam.
Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
The EC-Council’s ethical hacking certification aims to nurture a hacker’s mindset within you and develop expertise in penetration testing, understanding attack vectors, as well as detection and prevention strategies. The CEH v12 examination comprehensively addresses the five crucial hacking phases: reconnaissance, scanning, gaining access, maintaining access, and erasing tracks. These skills are honed for various domains, including web servers and applications, wireless networks, and mobile platforms. To qualify for the CEH exam, candidates are required to have a minimum of two years of hands-on experience in IT security.
Cisco Certified CyberOps Associate
The Cisco Certified CyberOps Associate certification program is your gateway to a dynamic world of cybersecurity. It’s designed to authenticate the everyday tactical knowledge and skills required by Security Operations Center (SOC) teams to swiftly detect and respond to cybersecurity threats. You will dive into essential concepts in security, mastering security monitoring, conducting host-based analysis, honing your network intrusion analysis skills, and learning the ropes of implementing security policies and procedures. No prior requirements to appear for the exam!
Why are cloud security certifications necessary?
Cloud security certifications prove your expertise in protecting cloud environments. They’re crucial for IT professionals, security analysts, cloud architects, and system administrators working with cloud technologies. They showcase your skills and dedication to safeguarding data and resources in the modern digital landscape.
Who should pursue cloud security certifications?
Cloud security certifications are valuable for those in IT, security roles, or cloud-related positions. These certifications can boost your career prospects if your job involves cloud technology.
Are there any prerequisites for these certifications?
Prerequisites vary by certification. Some require experience or prior credentials, while others have no conditions. Check each certification’s specific requirements to determine if you qualify.
How do I prepare for these certifications?
Preparation involves self-study, training courses, and practice exams. Numerous organizations and online platforms provide training materials and courses to help you get ready. Practical experience in cloud security is also essential.
What are the advantages of earning multiple cloud security certifications?
Multiple cloud security certifications showcase your wide-ranging knowledge across various cloud platforms and technologies. This versatility can make you a competitive and adaptable professional, as organizations often use multiple cloud providers. A diverse skill set can be precious in the job market.
Hope this blog helps you dive into the top 5 cloud security certifications in 2024 and understand the nitty-gritty of the same. Before you dive headfirst into these cert courses, it is essential to comprehend the prerequisite and map the exam requirements to that of your existing knowledge and career goals. Also, suppose you don’t wish to specify in just one cloud platform. In that case, you must search and opt for vendor-neutral certifications like CEH and CompTIA+ to gain the domain expertise that suits all cloud platform needs.
But above all, the most important thing is to ensure that the training programs you choose for these courses are advanced and current. You will find innumerable online resources, but not all are upgraded. To help you make your prep phase a breeze, Whizlabs brings detailed, thoughtfully designed training programs supported by practice tests, video courses designed by industry experts, and hands-on labs and sandboxes to brush up on your practical skills.
We have everything you need to learn advanced IT skills and enhance your career. Go through our best Training Courses and Practice Material and boost your Cloud Career.
- What is Microsoft Azure Network Watcher? - February 22, 2024
- Kubernetes vs Docker vs Jenkins: Know the Differences - November 30, 2023
- Comparison of Google Compute Engine vs App Engine - November 22, 2023
- CompTIA Certification Learning Path - November 10, 2023
- Top 5 Cloud Security Certifications in 2023 - October 31, 2023
- Overview of Windows Autopilot | Microsoft Endpoint Administrator (Beta) - October 19, 2023
- How to Become an AWS Data Engineer: A Complete Guide  - September 28, 2023
- How to Deploy Static Feedback with 100% Serverless Architecture AWS - September 25, 2023