Business analysis is a crucial phase of any project. And a business analyst is someone who helps to turn ideas into reality by bridging the gap between real-time scenarios and expected scenarios. Furthermore, business analysis is a critical task because the entire solution can turn wrong if the requirements are not clear. It may lead to causing business a substantial financial loss in future. Hence, nowadays, with more recognization in the industry, business analysis certifications have become hugely popular among the professionals for a better career.
Recommended Reading: Importance of Certifications to Advance Business Analysis Career
Moreover, it’s not just about achieving a high salaried safe job, the best business analysis certifications help you build skills like leadership, problem-solving, and facilitating processes in a business analysis. Hence, if you are a business analyst or a professional who wants to pursue a business analysis career and interested in top business analysis certifications, you are likely wondering which one would be the best business analysis certification for you.
In this blog, we will discuss top 5 business analysis certifications with respective roles and other criteria to guide you accomplish your goals. Furthermore, we will highlight few key points on the overall approaches of the certification issuing bodies.
What are the Roles of Business Analyst?
Let’s understand the roles of Business Analyst before moving to the best business analysis certifications. As most of today’s business is tightly coupled with IT solutions, not to mention every business solution is technology based. Hence, the business analyst is professional who performs multiple jobs i.e. business analyst is multi-tasker.
The roles of a business analyst are:
- Requirement analysis
- Researching the solutions
- Understanding Functional and Technical Requirements
- Leading a team
- Documenting project needs
- Organizing meetings
- Communicating and presenting the solutions with the client
In a broader sense, business analyst roles can be divided into two types –
- Functional Analyst – If you want to focus on any specific technology or domain
- IT Business Analyst – A mediator role between business and technology and opens up the scope towards managerial vertical. Hence, if you want to move on to project management track, it is ideal for you.
Parameters you should consider before selecting the best business analysis certification
- What is your role in the project?
- How much experience do you have as a business analyst?
- What is your employment status?
- The popularity and recognization of a certification location wise
- What are your future goals?
Each of the best business analysis certifications we will discuss over here depends on the parameters mentioned above.
What are the 5 Best Business Analysis Certifications in the Market?
Following three institutes provide the best business analysis certifications-
IIBA (International Institute of Business Analysis)
PMI (Project Management Institute)
IREB (International Requirements Engineering Board)
Details of the Best Business Analysis Certifications at a Glance
Dive into the Details to Select the Best Business Analysis Certification
Here, We’ve categorized various business analysis certifications in different scenarios on the basis of experience level. Let’s find the details below –
Scenario 1: If you are new to business analysis with no experience
If you are a fresher who is aspiring to build a career in business analysis, the below two certifications are best suited for you –
- Entry Certificate in Business Analysis (ECBA)
- Certified Professional for Requirements Engineering (CPRE)
Practice Tests are one of the important resources for the certification exam preparation. If you are preparing for ECBA certification exam, ECBA practice tests will help you prepare for the exam! Start with ecba free test NOW!
This is one of the entering certifications in business analysis from IIBA. As mentioned in the above table no prior experience as a business analyst is required to pursue this certification. Hence, from a fresh graduate to functional managers everyone is eligible for this certification.
However, there are few eligibility requirements from IIBA for this certification which are as follows –
- Minimum 21 hours of professional development training in last 4 years. Here the professional development is measured as classroom/contact time where 1-hour of classroom/contact time = 1-hour professional development
- You need to agree to the ECBA code of conduct
The candidate can cover up this professional development time through any of the IIBA programs mentioned below –
- Classroom and online courses
- IIBA Webinars – live or recorded
- Conference track sessions
- Chapter events (including conference days, presentations, workshops, and study groups)
- Self -directed learning including reading and reviewing the BABOK® Guide v3
Planning to start your business analysis career with ECBA certification? Here we bring the complete preparation guide for ECBA certification exam!
If you are in the engineering field and dealing with requirement gathering for development, testing or business design then this certification helps you to develop your professional skills. There are three levels of this certification, and each of them is correlated which means you need to finish these levels one after another.
- Foundation level
- Advanced level
- Expert level
IREB conducts the entire certification program, and you need to take the content and exam from authorized certification centers by both online and classroom mode.
Scenario 2: If you have mid-level experience in the business analyst role
You have below two choices of best business analysis certifications if you have a moderate level BA experience, like a hybrid business analyst with a mix of roles project management and tester:
- Certification of Capability in Business Analysis (CCBA)
- PMI Certified Professional in Business Analysis (PMI-PBA)
This is purely for business analyst professionals meeting the requirements as mentioned in the above table along with the following eligibility criteria:
- Two managerial references from past work experience or from a CBAP recipient
- Agree to the CCBA code of conduct
If you have 2-3 years of experience or have 3750 hours or more experience, then CCBA is the right choice for you.
Preparing for CCBA certification exam? Check your current level of preparation with CCBA Practice Tests. Start with CCBA free test now!
If you are in project management stream then it is the best fit for you provided you meet the criteria mentioned in the above table along with 2000 hours working on projects.
If you have 2-3 years of experience and 4500+ hours of experience as BA, then PMI-PBA is the right choice for you.
Scenario 3: If you want to expertise at a high level in a business analyst role
If you have more than 7500 hours of experience as BA, then you can opt for one of the following business analysis certifications:
- Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP)
- PMI Certified Professional Business Analyst Professional (PMI-PBA) certification.
However, there is a crucial difference here while you select one of these certifications.
- If you want to continue as a business analyst in long-term career then investing in CBAP is worth for you. Apart from the criteria mentioned in the above table, the other eligibility criteria is same as mentioned for CCBA.
Preparing for CBAP certification exam? Check your current level of preparation with CBAP Practice Tests. Start with CBAP free test now!
- If you want to prosper in project management or Agile business strategy, then PMI-PBA is the ideal one for you.
What are the fundamental differences between IIBA and PMI certifications approach?
Though both PMI-PBA and IIBA are among the best business analysis certifications, there are some key differences between PMI certification and IIBA certification approaches which are also a considerable area while you select them as your certification choice.
The basic differences are as follows –
- PMI is broader in scope with respect to the Evaluation tasks which additionally cover some areas of Quality Assurance. However, the BABOK® Guide of PMI specifically confines the business analyst role in this matter.
In contrast, IIBA® approach does not confine business analysis to programs or projects. Furthermore, IIBA® explicitly defines the business analysis activities that go beyond the project. Moreover, these activities are applicable for overall organizational improvement.
- PMI business analysis approach is more realistic and in-place at current organizations. However, for future career perspective and opportunities, IIBA approaches are more considerable.
Do you find yourself fully prepared for PMI-PBA certification exam? Try now how many of these PMI-PBA free questions can you solve?
- The PMI-PBA outline for Needs Assessment is much more limited in scope while compared with the Enterprise Analysis Knowledge area of its BABOK® Guide. The guide includes some additional tasks to determine the current capabilities and business needs proactively. Furthermore, it defines the business case, rather than to refine and review the existing business case. The task additionally involves activity rather than to meet with stakeholders for requirement analysis.
- PMI-PBA outline defines Elicitation within the Analysis knowledge area, and it does not consider it as a discrete Knowledge Area which applies to a wide variety of different business analysis activities.
- PMI-PBA outline confines the planning task to the Requirements Management space, in spite of it gives a broader view of the BABOK® Guide in the Business Analysis Planning & Monitoring Knowledge area.
In contrast, IIBA® BABOK® Guide gives business analysts the role in identifying the best possible techniques, approach, and activities to the entire business analysis effort.
To conclude, business analysis certification is a specialized education which works as a credential for a business analyst professional. No doubt, a formal recognization from the reputed and authorized body differentiates an individual in the market in terms of both skills and salary. Both IIBA and PMI are internationally recognized organizations that measure the expertise of professionals in a rigorous manner. Hence, the certifications for business analyst professionals from these organizations are highly proficient among the certified professionals.
Not to mention, the cost of appearing for these certification exams is very high. Hence, to qualify the exam, you need proper guidance, and only self-study may not help you 100% as the syllabus is vast.
Whizlabs offers preparation material for PMI-PBA, CCBA, ECBA and CBAP certification exam with a free test and exam simulator to make you ready for these exams. We are proud of our successful track records in these best business analysis certifications like other training tracks. Join our training today and become a problem solver for tomorrow!
Have any questions in your mind? Just put a comment below or write here and we’ll get back to you.
- Top 10 Highest Paying Cloud Certifications in 2023 - March 1, 2023
- 12 AWS Certifications – Which One Should I Choose? - February 22, 2023
- 11 Kubernetes Security Best Practices you should follow in 2023 - May 30, 2022
- How to run Kubernetes on AWS – A detailed Guide! - May 30, 2022
- Free questions on CompTIA Network+ (N10-008) Certification Exam - April 13, 2022
- 25 Free Questions on Microsoft Azure AI Fundamentals (AI-900) - March 25, 2022
- How to Integrate Jenkins with GitHub? - March 22, 2022
- How to Create CI/CD Pipeline Inside Jenkins ? - March 22, 2022
30 thoughts on “Top 5 Business Analysis Certifications”
Very Impressive Business Analyst tutorial. The content seems to be pretty exhaustive and excellent and will definitely help in learning Business Analyst. I’m also a learner taken up Business Analyst training and I think your content has cleared some concepts of mine.
i am a software quality assurance analyst/tester and i would like to do a business analysts certification. which certification would you recommend?
You can go with ECBA Certification.
Am already working as a Business analyst since 6 months with MBA qualification. I’ve worked already as AR analyst in KPO sector. Currently am working as BA in IT concern in ERP domain.
Which certification would you recommend?
You can go with ECBA Certification.
Nice post, thanks! I’m certified as PMI-PBA and I’ve been considering for a while (almost 2 years) to go also for CBAP. Best, Jorge Lamadrid
I work as an application developer in an IT firm for now about 3.5 yrs. I want to switch my role as a business analyst. Which certification would be best for me?
I am CBAP with PMI-PBA certification and have experience of 6 years. I’m currently working in Apple. Could you please recommend any higher certification I may choose to grow my skills?
I have 8 years of IT experience which includes around 3 years of BA experience. I have already completed PSM I and PSPO I certifications. Which certification should I pursue CBAP or PMI-PBA?
I have an MBA qualification. I am working as a Senior associate consultant in banking domain with an IT firm. The role is of a business analyst. I have 3 years of experience but to be honest not that much BA expertise. Could you please suggest how should I go forward from here.
I have 9 years of a Risk Analyst experience. Is it possible to get CBAP/CCBA certificate with such experience?
I have 12 years of work experience in Business Intelligence. Over the years I have executed many roles like Business Analyst, Solution Designer, Project Manager, Developer, etc.
I would like to get a certification in Analytics. But confused between CBAP & PMI – PBA. any suggestions?
This is a wonderful article, Given so much info in it, These type of articles keeps the users interest in the website, and keep on sharing more … good luck… Thank you!!! business analytics certification
First of all thank you so much. It’s hard to find high-quality writing like yours these days. I truly appreciate individuals like you! Thank you for all the information
Interesting reading and great insights. Thanks for sharing.
Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which I need, thanks to offer such a helpful information here…business analytics certification
I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work….business analytics certification
Really nice and interesting post. I was looking for this kind of information and enjoyed reading this one. Keep posting. Thanks for sharing…..business analytics certification
I like viewing web sites which comprehend the price of delivering the excellent useful resource free of charge. I truly adored reading your posting. Thank you!…business analytics certification
I just got to this amazing site not long ago. I was actually captured with the piece of resources you have got here. Big thumbs up for making such wonderful blog page!
I was just browsing through the internet looking for some information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. Bookmarked this page, will come back for more….business analytics certification
Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing.
I have no experience of BA, i m mba in finance, looking for some exposure in this particular field, please guide how can i start a new career and what are the opportunities in this field.
I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. ExcelR Business Analytics Course Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.
It is very useful article for me! Thanks
Incredibly in general very intriguing post. I was looking for such an information and took pleasure in scrutinizing this one. Keep posting. An obligation of appreciation is all together for sharing.
Extremely overall quite fascinating post. I was searching for this sort of data and delighted in perusing this one. Continue posting. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing.data science courses in Hyderabad
A debt of gratitude is in order for ExcelR Business Analytics Courses the blog entry amigo! Keep them coming…