AWS certifications serve as a powerful demonstration of one’s expertise in working with AWS products, making them highly valuable in the eyes of potential employers. With a plethora of AWS certifications available, choosing the right starting point can be confusing.
For software developers aspiring to achieve AWS certification, the AWS Certified Developer – Associate level certification stands out as the optimal choice.
In this blog, we will delve into an exploration of the various AWS certifications available for developers.
Let’s dig in!
What is AWS certification?
AWS certification for developers is designed to validate the skills and expertise of professionals in the field of software development within the AWS cloud environment.
AWS offers a range of certifications catering to different aspects of development and related technologies. These certifications are widely recognized in the industry and demonstrate a high level of proficiency with AWS services.
The demand for cloud skills is high, and AWS certifications are particularly sought after, as per findings in our State of Cloud report:
- 82% of hiring managers consider cloud certifications as a significant factor in making a candidate more appealing.
- 87% of hiring managers prioritize hands-on experience and certifications over a traditional university degree when assessing candidates.
- The current job market reveals a scarcity of certified AWS professionals. Consequently, individuals with cloud expertise are commanding high salaries.
Demand for AWS Developer Certification
With the ongoing wave of digitalization and the exponential growth of data, cloud computing has surged in importance on the global business stage. The current market revenue is $429.5 billion, projected to soar to $1.25 trillion by 2028.
Among the prominent players in cloud computing, Amazon Web Services (AWS) reigns supreme, commanding a significant 33% market share and hosting over 1,800,000 websites.
This remarkable expansion of the AWS platform underscores the increasing demand for proficient professionals. In the United States alone, there are approximately 300,000 job openings. To illustrate, LinkedIn boasts 140,000 job listings, ZipRecruiter offers 130,000, and Indeed presents 82,500 opportunities.
However, the question remains: Are there enough AWS developers to meet this demand?
Amazon reports that 650,000 individuals hold associate, professional, or specialty AWS certifications. Meanwhile, according to Stack Overflow, more than 50% of professional developers currently utilize this cloud platform, with roughly 60% of respondents expressing intentions to begin working with it in the coming year.
Several factors contribute to the demand for AWS Developer Certification:
- Industry Adoption of AWS: Many organizations are migrating their infrastructure to the cloud, and AWS is a popular choice due to its extensive range of services and global infrastructure.
- Increased Cloud Adoption: The overall trend toward cloud computing continues to grow, with more businesses recognizing the benefits of scalability, flexibility, and cost savings that come with cloud solutions.
- Skill Validation: Employers value certifications as a way to verify the skills and knowledge of job candidates. AWS certifications, including the developer certification, provide a standardized measure of proficiency.
- Growing Job Opportunities: As businesses expand their use of AWS, there is a corresponding increase in the demand for skilled professionals who can develop and maintain applications on the AWS platform.
- Salary Advantages: Certified professionals often command higher salaries than their non-certified counterparts. Employers are willing to pay a premium for individuals who have demonstrated expertise through certifications.
Top AWS Certification for Developers
For software developers, the ideal AWS Certification choice will be AWS Certified Developer – Associate level certification. This certification comprehensively covers fundamental AWS principles and services, providing insights into coding, deploying applications, and troubleshooting common issues.
It serves as a solid foundation for building AWS knowledge. Upon successfully passing the AWS Certified Developer Associate exam, you’ll be strategically positioned to pursue additional AWS certifications.
Notable pathways include the AWS Certified SysOps Administrator Associate or the AWS Certified DevOps Engineer Professional certifications. This sequential approach allows for a progressive and in-depth exploration of AWS expertise.
Some of the key certifications for developers include:
1. AWS Certified Developer – Associate
The AWS Certified Developer certification is indeed a valuable choice for developers looking to deepen their understanding of the AWS platform and enhance their skills in building applications using AWS services.
AWS Certified Developer – Associate certification reflects expertise in core AWS services, practical application of AWS uses, adherence to fundamental AWS architecture best practices, and a high level of proficiency in the development, deployment, and debugging of cloud-based applications using AWS.
According to Global Knowledge, individuals holding the AWS Certified Developer (Associate) certification can expect an average salary of $165,333.
- Having one or more years of practical experience in the design and development of applications on the AWS platform, along with proficiency in at least one high-level programming language is recommended
- Demonstrating a comprehensive understanding of core AWS services, the capability to craft, develop, and implement cloud-based solutions on the AWS platform.
AWS Certified Developer – Associate certification serves as an excellent entry point on the AWS Certification path for individuals who possess any of the following:
- Experience in a developer role
- Experience in AWS technology
- Strong on-premises IT experience
- Experience in other cloud services
- Development with AWS Services
- Troubleshooting and Optimization
- Level: Associate
- Time period: 30 minutes
- Cost: $150 USD
- Format: 65 questions, which can be either multiple-choice or multiple-response.
2. AWS Certified DevOps Engineer certification
AWS Certified DevOps Engineer certification holds significant value as it serves as a crucial progression between associate-level certifications and advanced Solutions Architect Professional certification.
AWS Certified DevOps Engineer – Professional certification helps validate individuals’ technical expertise in the provisioning, operation, and management of distributed application systems on the AWS platform.
The ideal candidate for the AWS Certified DevOps Engineer certification should possess the following experience:
- Experience in building highly automated infrastructure.
- Experience in administering operating systems.
- Experience with modern development and operations processes and methodologies.
- Should have a minimum of 2 years of experience in provisioning, operating, and managing AWS environments.
- Should possess experience in the software development lifecycle and have proficiency in programming and/or scripting.
Additionally, it is recommended for the candidate to have knowledge and experience in AWS, specifically in securing AWS infrastructure.
AWS DevOps Engineer – Professional certification is suitable for individuals with 2 or more years of AWS Cloud experience. Additionally, those who have already obtained the AWS Certified Developer – Associate certification and are prepared to advance further on their AWS Certification path can take this exam.
This certification aligns well with various job roles, including:
- Cloud/Solutions Architect
- DevOps Engineer
- Software Developer
- Systems Administrator
- SDLC Automation (22%)
- Configuration Management and IaC (17%)
- Resilient Cloud Solutions (15%)
- Monitoring and Logging (15%)
- Incident and Event Response (14%)
- Security and Compliance(17%)
- Level: Professional
- Length: 180 minutes to complete the exam
- Cost: $300 USD
- Question type: 75 questions multiple-choice or multiple-response.
Benefits of taking AWS Developer Certification
Becoming an AWS Certified Developer Associate holds significant advantages for software developers, driven by the escalating demand for professionals adept in AWS technologies as businesses transition to the cloud.
Here’s an exploration of the reasons to pursue this certification.
Gateway to AWS Developer Certification
The AWS Certified Developer Associate is the foundational step towards achieving advanced AWS developer certifications, opening doors to career advancement and potential salary increases.
Career Advancement Opportunities
With this certification, developers position themselves for new and exciting career opportunities, especially in the context of the growing reliance on AWS in the industry.
In-Depth Cloud Development Knowledge
AWS Certified Developer Associate certification offers a deep dive into advanced cloud development concepts, enhancing your understanding of cutting-edge technologies in the cloud domain.
Demonstration of Application Development Skills
By becoming an AWS Certified Developer Associate, you showcase your proficiency in creating applications on the AWS platform, underlining your practical skills and expertise.
Career Boost and Salary Enhancement
Holding this certification can lead to career advancements and potentially higher salaries, as businesses increasingly value AWS-certified professionals for their ability to navigate and contribute to cloud-based solutions.
The AWS Certified Developer Associate is internationally recognized, providing a globally accepted validation of your skills. This global recognition is advantageous when seeking opportunities across borders.
Preparation of Resources from Industry Leaders
There are abundant training courses delivered by industry-leading providers to prepare for the certification exam. These resources ensure that you receive top-notch training to excel in the AWS Certified Developer Associate journey.
Overall, obtaining the AWS Certified Developer Associate certification not only marks the initiation of an AWS developer certification path but also brings tangible benefits, including expanded career prospects, elevated earning potential, and a globally recognized validation of your AWS skills.
Moreover, it positions you as a proficient developer capable of leveraging AWS technologies to drive innovation in cloud-based applications.
AWS Developer Salaries
According to Glassdoor, The average salary for an AWS Developer in India is ₹7,41,388 per year. In addition to the base salary, there is an average additional cash compensation of ₹42,593, with a range from ₹22,994 to ₹61,240.
Here is more information about the salary for an AWS Certified Developer:
- Location: Salaries can vary significantly depending on the location. Major tech hubs like San Francisco, Seattle, New York City, and Boston tend to offer higher salaries due to the higher cost of living and increased demand for skilled professionals. In contrast, salaries may be lower in areas with a lower cost of living or less demand for AWS expertise.
- Experience: Experience plays a crucial role in determining salary. Developers with more years of experience typically command higher salaries due to their accumulated skills and knowledge. Additionally, experience working on complex projects or leading teams can also contribute to higher compensation.
- Certification Level: AWS offers multiple certifications for developers, including the AWS Certified Developer – Associate and AWS Certified Developer – Professional. Higher-level certifications often command higher salaries due to their advanced skill requirements and the value they bring to organizations.
- Industry and Company Size: Salaries for AWS-certified developers can also vary based on the industry and company size. Tech companies and startups often offer competitive salaries and benefits to attract top talent. Similarly, industries such as finance, healthcare, and e-commerce may offer higher salaries to developers with AWS expertise due to the critical nature of their technology infrastructure.
- Additional Skills: Beyond AWS certification, possessing additional skills and expertise can impact salary. Developers proficient in other programming languages, frameworks, or tools commonly used in conjunction with AWS, such as Python, Java, or Docker, may be able to negotiate higher salaries.
Know More : AWS Certified Developer Salary in 2023
What are the jobs available for AWS Certified Developer Associate?
After becoming certified AWS Developer, individuals can apply for various roles such as:
- AWS Developer
- Cloud Solutions Architect
- AWS Systems Administrator
- Cloud Software Engineer
- DevOps Engineer
How much can the AWS Developer earn?
According to payscale.com, the average AWS Certified Developer Associate salary in the USA is reported to be $112,000 per annum.
Is the AWS Developer Associate exam difficult?
Yes, the AWS Developer Associate exam is considered somewhat difficult. It focuses on concepts related to developing and maintaining AWS applications. Success in the exam can be achieved by thoroughly reviewing AWS Certified Developer Associate exam questions, DVA-C02 free questions, and other study materials until you gain a solid understanding of the relevant concepts.
How long is the AWS developer associate certification valid?
The AWS Developer Associate certification is valid for three years. After this period, individuals need to undergo recertification to maintain the validity of their certification.
Also Read : Free AWS Developer Associate Exam Questions
Hope this article covers detailed information about AWS certification available for developers. Developers may choose a certification based on their career aspirations, the projects they are involved in, and their interest in specific areas such as development, architecture, operations, or security.
- Which AWS Certification is Best For Developers - December 5, 2023
- Top Popular Hands on Labs for Google Cloud Platform (GCP) - October 29, 2023
- 7 Exam Tips for Google Cloud Database Engineer Certification - September 21, 2023
- What Is Azure Web Application Firewall (WAF)? - September 8, 2023
- The 5 Best Team Chat Apps for Business in 2023 - August 10, 2023
- What is Microsoft Cybersecurity Reference Architectures? - July 31, 2023
- How to Secure & Migrate your SAP Environment on AWS - July 26, 2023
- A Comparison of SUM-DMO and SWPM - July 21, 2023