Marc Weaver is one among Whizlabs 150+ Cloud Thought Leaders and New Generation Leaders of 2021. Marc has started his career as an in-house IT consultant for large investment banks in New York, London and Sydney. Now, he is the top ranked certified AWS Solutions Architect specializing in business, application and data center migrations to the AWS cloud. In 2015, he founded Databasable as an IT consultancy that specializes in all things AWS. He mainly focuses on creating secure, highly available and cost efficient environments in the AWS cloud that meet all modern compliance standards including SOC2, HIPAA, and PCI.
Let’s get to know Marc Weaver a little more today.
1. What was your first job?
First line support for an education Windows application running on Windows NT!
2. How will you describe your journey to become a successful professional in Cloud Computing?
A bit of a roller-coaster. I left a secure, well paid senior IT position to start my own Cloud Computing IT consulting business. After a bit of a slow start, things improved due to the uptick in cloud usage. Perfect timing, hard work or just plain lucky?!
3. When did you actually realize your true love for Cloud Computing?
In the early 2010s I was dabbling with the cloud in my own time, but when I realized that the cloud enabled me to do the job that multiple teams do with a traditional data centers, I was completely hooked!
4. Walk us through your journey of first ever certification in the field of cloud computing? How did you make that decision?
I decided early on in my Cloud Computing career to focus on AWS, so it was a pretty easy decision to start with the Solutions Architect Associate certification. Whizlabs was very instrumental in helping me get the first certification and subsequent re-certifications.
5. Globally recognized cloud thought leadership comes with lots of responsibility. What is your advice for your followers?
I focus on giving educational advice to my followers. AWS churns out so many new features, services and updates that it’s very difficult to keep track. I like to pass on all the interesting things I learn to help others with their cloud journey.
6. Everyone now knows that cloud computing is the future. What do you think?
I’m not sure everyone does know! There are still plenty of businesses out there using old fashioned on-premise data centers that are costing them time, money, and a loss of competitive advantage. However, I do think the medium future is actually hybrid rather than full cloud. Pretty sure AWS agrees with me in light of their Outposts solution.
7. A good leader is someone who never stops learning and always willing to un-learn anything if needed. What are your valuable learnings and un-learnings during your journey to a thought leader?
If you’re moving from the world of a traditional data center to the cloud you basically need to un-learn everything you already knew so that you can take full advantage of what the cloud has to offer.
Marc’s favorite quote is “If you are willing to do only what’s easy, life will be hard. But if you are willing to do what’s hard, life will be easy.”
8. Other than personal learning, what are you currently learning in the technical field? Any new field of interest?
Security. Security. Security. Not because it’s a particular passion of mine, but because it’s so critical to build secure and compliant cloud environments. I recently obtained the AWS Security Specialist certification (with some assistance from Whizlabs!).
9. If we dare to ask, how would you rate the following cloud providers – AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, Alibaba cloud.
AWS (long gap) Azure (short gap) Google Cloud.
Thank you Marc Weaver for your inspiring insights. Keep motivating!
- MD-102 Preparation Guide : Microsoft Endpoint Administrator - September 20, 2023
- MS-102 Preparation Guide : Microsoft 365 Administrator - September 13, 2023
- Prove Your Skills As a Cybersecurity Architect - September 11, 2023
- Overview of Azure Blueprints | AZ-900 Certification - September 5, 2023
- What is Data Modeling in Power BI?: An Ultimate Guide - August 31, 2023
- What is Privileged Access Management (PAM)? - August 2, 2023
- Sap on AWS vs Sap Workloads on Azure – Which Service is Best for Use? - July 24, 2023
- How to use Microsoft 365 Admin Center | A Complete Guide - July 18, 2023